Exercises that may help reduce or prevent low back pain include:
- Aerobic exercise, to condition your heart and other muscles, maintain health, and speed recovery.
- Strengthening exercises, focusing on your back, stomach, and leg muscles.
- Stretching exercises, to keep your muscles and other supporting tissues flexible and less prone to injury.
Some exercises can aggravate back pain. If you have low back pain, avoid:
- Straight leg sit-ups.
- Bent leg sit-ups or partial sit-ups (curl-ups) when you have acute back pain.
- Lifting both legs while lying on your back (leg lifts).
- Lifting heavy weights above the waist (standing military press or biceps curls).
- Toe touches while standing.
Find your best exercises!