Constipation is a common disease in children that affects their health very much. It means difficulty in passing a tool. The longer the children hold in stool, the harder it becomes.
What are the signs of constipation?
Here is the list of the signs that a child can have constipation:
• Straining and pain when going to stool, even bleeding
• Diarrhoea. When trying to pass the bowel motion, children may leave marks on their underwears.
• Pain in stomach
• Other common symptoms such as headaches, tiredness, skin problem, anorexia…
• If constipation continues for a few days, it may lead to other diseases, affects seriously living way of children
What are the causes of constipation?
The main reason for constipation is a diet high in processed food and low in roughage. The other reasons include:
• Eating disorder: Children who suffer from constipation often haven’t a good diet. Especially, they eat so much wheat like pasta and bread, too little roughage (roughage can make children digest easily).
• Not drinking enough fluids. Fluid or mineral water plays an important role in body and helps to digest easier. When children don’t drink enough fluids, they get constipation quickly.
• One of the causes of constipation is medicine such as pain-killer ( Tylenol #3, oxy codone ( percocet), hdrophonrmone ( Dilaudid)
• Stress and anxiety. This can cause the bowel motion to pass through too quickly ( causing diarrhea).
• Metal activities: Not having a habit of going to stool frequently, especially, reading newspapers, books when going to toilet are causes of constipation.
• Imbalance in the gastrointestinal bacteria. Diet that has a lot of sugars can lead to an imbalance of the intestinal flora.
Treating and preventing constipation in children
Have your child drink more pure water, especially fruit juices ( apple juice, grape juice…)) are helpful in preventing from constipation. Avoid drinks contained much sugar like soda.
When your child gets constipation, avoid to digest food trans fats, limit constipating food like bananas, milk, carrots,apples… Provide them with more vegetables (cabbage, nightshade…)
• Creating a habit of going to stool
Often remind children to go to the toilet and change the position when they go to. Simply, place a small stool in front of the toilet, your child can place his feet on it and raise his knees. This thing may make them feel more comfortable.
• Physical activities
It’s no doubt that physical activities prevent from constipation effectively. Everyday, go for a walk with your children, let them take part in sport activities like swimming, running… Encourage them to go out or simply to walk in the parks. Avoid them spending much time on TV or computer because it can also cause obesity in children.
Sometimes, your child must go to see a health professional if constipation is very difficult to relieve. To avoid this case, learn more about constipation as well as its treatment or prevention to assure that your child don’t get constipation any more.