Almost smokers know the damages of smoking but a very few of people are committed to quit it and do that successfully. So how to stop smoking effectively? These following tips can help you.
- Write down the reasons why you should stop smoking (for your partner, children, career, etc). They can motivate you to be determined in the process of implementation.
- Try to reduce the number of cigarettes per day gradually and only then stop smoking. If you abrupt and complete stopping of smoking, it lead to severe withdrawal symptoms.
- Use nicotine lozenges, nicotine gum, etc as a replacement of cigarettes as your brain is accustomed to the daily nicotine intake. Remember not using cigarettes and nicotine gum together.
- Find out the reasons why you smoke and try to eliminate it. For example, you smoke because your friends smoke too. In this case, stay away from the smoker as much as possible.
- Take plenty of exercise including deep breathing and long walks in the open air several times each day. This will clean out the lungs and improve your sense of well-being. It also helps you relieve stress, one of the major causes of smoking in young adults.
- Do something whenever feel an urge to smoke. You can practice deep breathing or eat something.
- Change your routine and habits. If you have a habit of smoking at particular time, make your schedule change with doing something else.
- Make a sensible eating plan. Eat large quantities of fresh fruits and vegetables which are considered an excellent antidote against the poisons of tobacco. Taking small meals more frequently also stabilize your blood sugar, which help to calm your nerves during this of stress.