Symptoms & Signs
People with this disorder do not trust their own ability to make decisions. They may be devastated by separation and loss. They may go to great lengths, even suffering abuse, to stay in a relationship.
Diagnosis & Tests
A person with dependent personality disorder may:
- Have difficulty making decisions without reassurance from others
- Have problems expressing disagreements with others
- Avoid personal responsibility
- Avoid being alone
- Feel devastated or helpless when relationships end
- Be unable to meet ordinary demands of life
- Become preoccupied with fears of being abandoned
- Be easily hurt by criticism or disapproval
- Be extremely passive in relations with other people
Dependent personality disorder : Overview, Causes, & Risk Factors
Dependent personality disorder : Symptoms & Signs, Diagnosis & Tests
Dependent personality disorder : Treatment
Review Date : 10/17/2008
Reviewed By : Linda Vorvick, MD, Seattle Site Coordinator, Lecturer, Pathophysiology, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, University of Washington School of Medicine; and Timothy A. Rogge, MD, private practice in Psychiatry, Kirkland, Washington. Also reviewed byDavid Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only — they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2010 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.