Symptoms & Signs
- Difficulty urinating
- Painful urination
- Burning sensation during urination
- Discharge from the penis
- Redness, swelling, itching of the opening of the urethra at tip of the penis
- Swelling and tenderness of the testicles
The symptoms can appear similar to those of infection with gonorrhea, but continue even after after treatment for gonorrhea.
Diagnosis & Tests
- Taking a sample of secretions from the penis and sending it to a lab for a culture or a test called polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
- Urethral discharge culture or genital fluid testing for gonorrhea
- Urine test
Chlamydial urethritis – male : Overview, Causes, & Risk Factors
Chlamydial urethritis – male : Symptoms & Signs, Diagnosis & Tests
Chlamydial urethritis – male : Treatment
Review Date : 5/5/2008
Reviewed By : Linda Vorvick, MD, Seattle Site Coordinator, Lecturer, Pathophysiology, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, University of Washington School of Medicine; and David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only — they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2010 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.