Apparently, there exists many eyes disorders, eyes diseases which may or may not serious, avoidable or unavoidable. For the second situation, age-related macular degeneration is one of the most common syndromes which happens to most of elders.
Age-related Macular Degenerationoften, known as AMD or ARMD, is the leading cause of vision loss and blindness in seniors.
AMD is a form of macular problems specifically affecting on the retina. It can result in losing central vision which help us being able to see, drive, or read clearly. AMD develops along with the aging process, that is reason why AMD is often seen at seniors, especially at the age of 50 up.Both eyes are able to influenced by AMD but usually, at different times and different level.
The symptoms of AMD following are worsened by times without treatment. They are:
- dark areas or distortion in your central vision
- permanent loss of your central vision then gradual central vision loss
There are two types of AMD including dry AMD and wet AMD. The first type is more common, more severe with up to 80% of all macular degeneration diagnosed cases.The symptoms of each types are also different.
Besides common symptoms, for dry AMD, the patients may have:
- Need for increasingly bright light to see up close
- Colors appear less vivid or bright
- Feeling of hazy
- Difficulty seeing when going from bright light to low light (such as entering a dimly lit room from the bright outdoors)
- Trouble or inability to recognize people’s faces
- Blank or blurry spot in your central vision
While the wet ADM suffered ones can experience:
- Distorted vision — straight lines will appear bent, crooked or irregular
- Dark gray spots or blank spots in your vision
- Seeing the same object having different size or colors for each eye
AMD can make patient irritated but not painful.
How about the AMD treatmnet?
AMD is considered as a certain eyes problems attaching to aging process. It can be lowered only, however, the vision recovery is unlikely.
Currently, for dry AMD, antioxidant vitamins and zinc are used to by slowing macular degeneration progression toward more advanced stages. Meanwhile, the use of anti-VEGF treatment, thermal laser treatment or photodynamic therapy (PDT) are known as the most common treatment for wet AMD.
To prevent the risk of AMD and reduce the symptoms if suffered, you should ask ophthalmologist for regular eye exams.
With untreatable macular degeneration cases,there are now some modern special low-vision rehabilitation, devices and services which can help patients “seeing again”.