A sore throat is an infection that can be either viral or bacterial. Patients with sore throat, mild or severe, little or more have to experience of painful and uncomfortable feel. Here are 10 ways to treat problem of sore throat instantly.
2. For fast and effective sore-throat relief, nothing beats an old-fashioned saltwater gargle. Salt acts as a mild antiseptic, and also draws water out of mucous membranes in the throat, which helps to clear phlegm. Dissolve a half-teaspoon salt in a glass of warm water, gargle and spit out. Repeat up to four times a day.
3. Honey has long been used as a sore-throat remedy. It has antibacterial properties, which can help speed healing. It also acts as a hypertonic osmotic, which means that it draws water out of inflamed tissue. This reduces the swelling and discomfort. Add several teaspoons to 1 cup of hot water or herbal tea.
4. Hot lemonade with honey can also relieve pain. Combine the juice of half a lemon with hot water.
5. Horehound reduces the swelling of inflamed throat tissue. It also thins mucus, which makes it easier for you to clear it from your throat. To make the tea, steep 2 teaspoons chopped herb in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes; strain and drink.
6. Slippery elm contains mucilage that coats the throat and eases the soreness. Steep 1 teaspoon of the inner bark in 2 cups boiling water, strain and drink.
7. Like slippery elm bark, marshmallow root (Althea officinalis) contains throat-coating mucilage. To make the tea, steep 2 teaspoons dried herb in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes; strain and drink. Drink three to five cups a day to help a sore throat.
8. Take vitamin C three times a day. Whether your sore throat is caused by a cold, the flu or strep, this vitamin will help boost your immune system and fight off infection. Reduce the dose if you develop diarrhea.
9. Echinacea. This herb’s antibacterial and antiviral properties will speed healing.
10. Garlic, as another aid to fight off infection. Dried garlic has potent antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
11. Zinc lozenge. In one study, people who sucked on a lozenge containing about 13 milligrams of zinc every two hours got rid of viral sore throats three to four days quicker than those who didn’t. But too much zinc can actually compromise immunity, which is why you shouldn’t take the lozenges for a long time.
12. Turmeric is a natural anti septic and antibiotic herb. It is used to treat sore throat in various ways. Mix ¼ tea spoon turmeric powder with ½ tea spoon honey and take the mixture twice a day.